As the weather starts to warm, the grey tint over Montreal recedes, and the birds start to chirp. Signs that Montreal is entering into summertime are everywhere. But Montreal’s summer season can only officially start when Montreal terraces open up. Sit outside in the sun with friends and sip a cold drink—what better way to spend the afternoon…the day…even the whole summer? Here are some of the greatest Montreal terraces to spend your days and nights this summer 2015.
Old Port Terraces
The Old Port is where classic Montreal terraces reside and some of the city’s most iconic terraces are located in this scenic area. Terrace Bonsecours and Jardin Nelson are classics, but you should check out some other outdoor watering holes in this historic district. Sit outside and drink as you feel the breeze coming off the St Laurence River.
- Terrasses Bonsecours | 364 de la Commune West
- Scarlet Exclusive | 139 Saint Paul West
- Jardin Nelson | 407 Place Jacques-Cartier
- Terrasse Place d’Armes | 55 Saint-Jacques Street
- Terrace Nelligan | 106 St-Paul West
- Boris Bistro | 465 McGill
- Le Saloon | 1333 Sainte-Catherine East
- Le Local | 740 William
- Suite 701 | 701 Côte de la Place d’Armes
Downtown may be a hotbed of tourism, but don’t let that fool you when it comes to summer. The downtown core of Montreal is home to classic terraces such as Winnie’s and Newtown. Here are some other great terraces to go after work or on the weekend if you work, live, or want to travel to downtown Montreal.
- Sir Winston Churchill’s | 1459 Crescent
- Newtown | 1476 Crescent
- Sports Station | 2051 St-Catherine West
- Furco | 425 Mayor Street
- Nespresso | 2045 Crescent
- Maison Boulud at the Ritz-Carleton | 1228 Sherbrooke St. West
Sud Ouest Terraces
Montreal’s Sud Ouest pocket is arguably one of the trendiest neighbourhoods in the city. St Henri and the famous Rue Notre Dame are home to some of Montreal’s and even North America’s finest dining spots. Griffintown houses some of Montreal’s most eclectic architecture, and the art scene is bustling in the Sud Ouest. You’d think you’d be able to find a sweet Montreal terrace to enjoy this wonderful part of the city. Well…here are a few.
- Terrasse St-Ambroise | 5080 Saint-Ambroise
- Place St-Henri H4C | 538 Pl Saint-Henri
- Le Richmond | 377 Rue Richmond
- Grinder | 1708 Notre-Dame West
- Henri Saint Henri | 1p7, 3734 Notre-Dame West
Plateau/Mile End Terraces
The Plateau and Mile End are two prime areas in Montreal where you’ll find some of the best bars in the city. Especially with warm weather upon us, the vibe of the streets, the characters, and the scene make for some pretty awesome Montreal terraces.
- Café Olimpico | 124 St-Viateur West
- Café Santropol | 3990 Saint-Urbain
- Bar Kabinet | 92 Laurier West
- Dieu du Ciel | 29 Avenue Laurier Ouest
- Tokyo | 3709 St Laurent
- Benelux | 245 Sherbrooke West
- Casa del Popolo | 4871 St-Laurent
- Réservoir | 9 Duluth East
- Barraca | 1134 Mount Royal East
- Labo Culinaire Foodlab | 1201 St-Laurent
- Bar Alexandraplatz | 6731 de l’Esplanade
Latin Quarter Terraces
Not quite downtown, not quite the Plateau, the Latin Quarter in Montreal combines the attitudes of both districts with its own distinct style. You’ll be sure to find some great Montreal terraces here. Here are two you should be sure to check out!
- Le Sainte-Elisabeth | 1412 Sainte Élisabeth
- Le Saint Sulpice | 414 Saint Sulpice