Last week’s shot of warmth and much needed sun rays marked the beginning of Montreal’s food truck season. This week, with a consistent forecast of sunshine and warmth marks the anticipation for the beginning of Montreal’s favourite summer arts festival
Mural 2015 will take place from June 4th until the 14th this summer! Yes, you read that correctly. Instead of the usual 4 days the festival has been allotted in the past, the scheduled time for Mural 2015 has been increased to a full week! This is probably due to the fact that Mural has increased its notoriety to be considered a major player in the “street art” world.
The festival will take place on Saint-Laurent Boulevard and the street will be closed off to traffic from Sherbrooke to Mount Royal. This will give pedestrians the freedom they require to admire the 20 new murals that will go up during MURAL 2015. If you know your Montreal murals, that means that the city will boast 50 beautiful murals that decorate the brick and mortar of some of Montreal’s buildings.
MURAL 2015 will draw some of the greatest muralists from around the globe. Here are a few of the big names and their respective countries of origin.
- Nychos (Austria)
- Curiot (Mexico)
- Jaz (Argentina)
- Faith47 (South Africa)
- Bicicleta Sem Freo (Brazil)
- Axel Void (Spain)
- 2Alas (USA)
- Elian (Argentina)
- C-215 (France)
Of course, MURAL 2015 also features a handful of muralists from Quebec and Canada. Here are a few you may recognize:
- Earth Crusher
- Monk.E, Astro
- Melissa Del Pinto
- MC Baldassari, Eric Clement
- Benny Wilding
For those who want to experience Mural to its fullest, the organizers of Mural 2015 will organize walking tours of the festival! Here are other events taking place during the festival:
MURAL 2015 Events
- Opening act presented by SaintWoods
- “Le Market,” an outdoor pop-up, will be open for the second year running during MURAL 2015 at the Parc du Portugal from the 4th until the 7th and the 11th until the 14th.
- There will be a Mural fair from the 5th until the 7th at the main area of the festival located at 3527 Saint-Laurent.
- From the 7th until the 10th, the #Muralhack activity and free workshops will be held at Notman House
- From the 8th until the 10th, some of Montreal’s favourite food trucks will be located at the corner of Mount Royal and Marie-Anne, which happens to also take place during “Grill St-Laurent”
- From the 8th until the 10th there will be a conference regarding public art at Excentris along with a film program that will take place at Excentris from the 8th until the 12th
- On the final days of the festival there will be the Cloud Cypher international dance competition on the 12th, the Osheaga Block Party on the 13th and a “Homecoming” show on the 14th by Fool’s Gold with A-Trak.
Talk about a packed Montreal summer! Stay tuned for more details closer to the event and remember to visit the MURAL website for even more info!
[credits link=”http://voir.ca/nouvelles/actualite-en-arts-visuels/2015/04/29/mural-2015-lart-public-toujours-plus-ambitieux/” type=”via”]Voir.ca[/credits]